Cochin Port is a major port and one of the largest ports in India. The port is emerging into a major International transshipment terminal. An all-weather natural Port, and located strategically close to the busiest international sea routes Cochin is promoting a major liquid terminal, bulk terminal and maritime industries in its port based SEZs .The port is proactive in safeguarding the environment. The Port has been promoting several “GREEN PORT” initiatives which include the following:
1. Cold Frontage Shore Power supply has been introduced at the berths
2. Construction of a Septage Treatment Plant is in progress at South end of Willingdon Island.
3. Effluent Treatment Plant has been established in the Cochin Port Trust Hospital.
4. Biogas Plant has been installed in the CISF Barrack complex.
5. Action has been initiated for establishment of a150 KW Solar Power Plant on the rooftop of Port Substation, installation of Biogas Plant in the Nursing School and a Vermi Compost Plant in Willingdon Island.
6. The Port has also decided to lease out land in Willingdon Island for Organic Farming.